Saturday, October 11, 2008

Notecards


I have this thing for notecards. I love them! They are small and can hold a little or a lot of information. You can put recipes on them. You can write sweet little notes to your friends on them. You can jot down that thought that you just don't want to forget. They even come in different colors! They are great!

One of the things that I love to do with notecards is to write Bible verses on them and post them around me. I have them sticky-tacked to mirrors and furniture, posted on my wall at work, and I even have a little stack on my desl that I periodically go through for an extra boost of encouragement. It may seem a little strange, but it works for me!

I still remember when I learned this. It was from a friend in college, named Jason. He kept a little ring of Bible verses on notecards and would read them while he walked from class to class. He would take study breaks and meditate on these little cards with words of wisdom so that he could learn scripture better. I really liked this, so I started doing it too...and I just never stopped. In fact, I have even drawn other people in my life into this precious past time of mine! I am looking at a notecard that my sister, Marcie, made for me about 3 years ago with Romans 5:3-5. It reads:

"...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not dissappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us."

I still remember the day she wrote this out for me. There was a tremendous amount of change going on in my life and I was really excited. I wanted some new notecards to post in my new apartment and at my new desk at my new job. I went over to her house with a stack of multi-colored notecards and a plethora of markers and we got started. She got to this one and said..."This has always been one of my favorite verses." Over the last three years, it has become one of mine too.

No comments: