Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Living with a Family


I realize that I haven't written anything of significance in a couple of days, so I thought that before I leave the quiet of the church office I should attempt to write something worthy of being read. The fact is, I know that once I get home I will most likely get distracted by something or someone, and there is a very good chance that I will get frustrated or offended by someone. Why? Because I now live with 5 other people and it just happens!

I am learning that with all of the wonderful things that come with living with other people, there are also some not so good things. For starters, on almost a daily basis, I am going to do something to offend someone or someone is going to do something that offends me. The "believer in good" in me trusts that the majority of the time this is not intentional, it just happens. I actually do think that this is true. I don't generally do things with the sole purpose of aggravating others. Occasionally I do, but not often. And I believe the same is true of most people. At the end of the day, I just have to trust the hearts of the people I love, and I know that they are good! When that isn't enough, (and most of the time it isn't) I have to give it up to God and ask Him to help me forgive them the way He forgives me!

If you're reading this, you are probably thinking something must have happened today. Nope. I actually haven't really seen my family today. I left this morning for work before they were up and I haven't been home yet (that was almost 15 hours ago by the way). It's just that in the past two months of not living alone, I have realized that I am offended a lot more frequently than I used to be. I also have little people climb on me and give me hugs and kisses almost every day! I don't think I am ready to throw the towel in just yet, but I would like to have a greater understanding of what God is teaching me. Is it tolerance? Patience? Surrender of my will? Is it compromise? Dependence on others? I just don't know. I'm sure that all of those are in there somewhere, but I don't know if they are really the object of this time.

Like I said, there are also some really great things! I mentioned the hugs and kisses, which I will sadly miss today because all of the kids will be in bed when I get home! I am getting the opportunity to watch Koby, Kase, and Aliya as they grow up and change - right in front of me! I also get to talk to Kathy and Gary almost everyday. That's pretty neat. As a family we usually do "High-Low's" at dinner. I couldn't do that when I lived alone...I guess I could but it may have been a little strange! I also love getting to take the kids out one-on-one and getting to do stuff that they like. I imagine it's kind-of like being an aunt. There are a lot of good things about living with a family.

I think I am just going to have to keep working on the communication aspect!

No comments: