Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Dilemma

I am faced with a dilemma. Some may think this is stupid, but I do not. It is difficult for me to write about this, for fear of judgment and rejection. I cannot be afraid of that, though. As I have been writing lately, my eyes must be focused on Christ and not man. That means that the only opinion I really need to fear is that of God and not of other people.

Every October, I find myself facing the same challenge and dilemma. It is about the last day of the month. There is a holiday that we celebrate, called Halloween. Around the time that I really started following Christ, I started feeling that participating in activities surrounding Halloween was wrong. I have been pretty firm in that, with few exceptions being made. When I have decided to participate, I feel like I have compromised what I believe in. I felt I was turning on a conviction that I have, for the sake of convenience. I believe, however, that the Lord has made it clear that the activities surrounding this day are not ones that honor Him.

Some of you are probably asking, "What is the big deal?"

Halloween (also called All Hallows Eve) is one of the four major days set aside for pagan and Wicca rituals to take place on. This day was established under the guise that on this day the spirits of the dead (all former living creatures, not just humans) were able to come back and wander freely. There were ceremonies and acts of appeasement that took place. How can we, as Christians, participate in activities that celebrate this day with a clear conscience? All of the little things that we do around Halloween have symbolism rooted in evil. Some may think I am being extreme. Look it up. Here are a few of the symbols and their meanings:

*Bon fire: means “fire of bones”; a pile of bones from sacrificed animals and sometimes humans were set on fire to burn as the primary source of light.
*Bobbing for Apples: honor Pomona, a pagan Goddess of fruit. It is also seen as a sign of good fortune to get a bite out of an apple.
*Dressing up in scary costumes: People would dress to blend in with the spirits of the dead, so they would not be distinguished

*Trick or Treat: People would offer treats to appease the spirits of the dead that were freely roaming on All Hallows Eve.
*Jack-O-Lantern: The ancient symbol for the damned soul – this was originally done on turnips or beets and when this holiday started being celebrated in the US, pumpkins were used.
*Bats, owls, and nocturnal beings: Used because they were originally thought to frighten the evil spirits that were freely roaming; black cats were believed to be reincarnated beings able to divine the future. They are also often believed to be witches in disguise.

When I think about all of the things we do around this day and where they stem from, it makes me ask some questions. What does God think about all of this? Where is the Glory for Him? What are we, as Christians, doing to be set apart? If we participate in these activities, even with the understanding that we are only doing it for fun or for evangelism, how is the world supposed to know that we believe in something so much greater? This is where the dilemma comes in!

There are so many activities that take place in Christian circles, still doing the same things the same way that the rest of the world does. They are just done with the claim that they are "evangelical outreaches". It is wonderful that activities take place with the intention of sharing the gospel and letting people know that Christ is our one true savior. But how can I in good conscious dress up, bob for apples, and carve pumpkins, and then tell someone that Christ is the lover of their soul and He wants to transform them! How am I living a transformed life in that instance?

It's hard for me because I believe we have to meet people where they are. I also believe that apart from Christ, there is nothing in me that makes me any better than those who don't know Him. I don't want to stand out, as if I am saying "I think I am better than you or more holy than you because I don't participate in these things." I am not. I also wonder if I am closing the door on evangelism by not participating.

I guess my last question is what does it really mean to be set apart?

Pray for me as I seek God in this and decide how I am going to respond to this year’s challenges.



No comments: