Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Jasmine


This should be dated October 10, but I didn’t get it transferred from my journal to my blog in time.

This has been a long week! Yesterday, my sister contacted me with some sad news. She had to have her cat, Jasmine, put to sleep because she was very ill. I called her back, and the whole time we were on the phone she was just crying. I was hurting for her and also felt helpless to help her. All I could do was tell her I love her and pray for her. I remembered when I had to put my rabbit, Hickory, to sleep. I was devastated! My heart hurt from depths that I didn’t know existed! She may have just been a bunny, but she was my bunny and I loved her very much!

I started thinking about how I have a little toy that was Hickory’s favorite. I had to get rid of all of her stuff, but I kept this one toy. I hand it in the laundry room, and see it whenever I am doing my laundry. I don’t often just sit and think in too much depth about the pain I felt anymore, but every once in a while, I take her toy and just sob! Why? Because I still miss her! Most of the time when I think of her now, I laugh! I remember how tiny she was when I first got her. She would hop around the house and my cat, Cinnamon, didn’t know what to think of this interesting creature. She would quisically watch and then mimic her. It was hilarious! Or, I think of her eating lettuce under the table, while a friend of mine and I ate a special dinner. I even think about the pillows she chewed holes in so that she could burrow inside! Most of this makes me laugh…sometimes uncontrollably! As I said, sometimes I just have to cry, though. That is when it is good to have this little “memory” toy.

I was very sad for my sister, because I know how much it hurts to lose a pet! I know what it is like to have someone for years and years that cuddles with you and has a special bond with you. And I know what it is like to have to be a part of the decision to allow that life to come to an end. It hurts! I think I am going to try to make a bracelet for her as a “memory” to hold onto. In the mean time, I just pray.

I pray, Lord Jesus, that you would be the comfort that my sister needs right now! I pray that would heal her heart and provide for her all that she needs in this time. Let people be gentle and sensitive and provide words of comfort and grace! Most of all, God, embrace her in your arms and hold her as a Good Father does! Because You God are a Good Father!

No comments: