Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Power of Words

I am going to keep this post short.

Today I was reminded of the power of words. When we interact with people, we get to choose if we are going to bless them or curse them by the words we use. There are countless scriptures that warn of the power of the tongue, and ultimately scripture gives us the instruction that we need. But, I don't think that we have to look only to scripture to see the effects of this teaching! How many times has someone said something to you that pierced you so deep in your flesh that you almost lost your breath for a moment? Have you ever had friendships damaged or broken all together because of something that was said in anger or out of spite?

Proverbs 29:20 says, "Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

We then read in Matthew 12:36, "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken."

Thank you, Jesus, for grace and for forgiveness beyond measure! Please give me the humility and strength to forgive those who have spoken harsh things against me or who have wounded me with their words. And please help those who I have hurt with my words to forgive me. Bless me with a heart and a tongue that blesses others, and one that speaks your truths and promises. Thank you, Jesus! Amen.

No comments: