Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Great Awakening

The challenges of living with 5 other people have already begun this morning. It is only ten after nine. I woke up this morning to the sound of a toy accordian - which is a miniature version of a real one and is really LOUD! At one point, I could hear the makings of a rudimentary version of "Happy Birthday". In addition to the accordian playing, Aliya and Kase were screaming at each other. It went something like this:
(overlying squealing of the accordian playing)
Aliya: Stop Kase (pronounced "Tase" by Aliya)
Kase: No! Aliya noooooo (in a whining 5 yr old boy voice)
(more accordian playing
Aliya: Stop now Kase. STO-O-O-O-OP.
Kase: No, Aliya. Aliya noooooo
(a little more accordian playing)
You get the idea - basically not what you want to wake up to! Oh, and the accordian playing was at 8:20am and it was Gary (the dad) playing it right next to the wall my bedroom shares with the dining room. Needless to say, I was a little ticked off! I turned up my sound machine and tried to drown out the noise. It didn't help. I covered my head with my pillow. No help there! I decided that the battle was lost and got up.

I emerged from my dark cave into the brightness of rooms with all of the lights on - and a bunch of sound! The TV on very loudly - one child watches. The accordian playing loudly - another child watches. The third child was just running wildly through the house. They were having fun! Shouldn't that make me happy? Not at 8:35 on a Saturday morning! I looked at Gary with my annoyed-sleepy face and proclaimed, "That thing is really annoying when people are sleeping!" He says, "Oh - with a small giggle." I proceeded to the bathroom to finish waking up and adjust to the fact that I would not be sleeping in. A few minutes later, I emerged from the bathroom, ready to start my day.

I went into the kitchen to make breakfast. There lay an open bag of rolls - the ones my mother made for Thanksgiving and sent me home with. The bag was almost empty. There are two left. The bag was full. I put them on my side of the counter under the sign that says "Lynn's Produce". (yes, I know bread is not produce, but there is only enough space in the bread basket for one loaf - which is already there.) I didn't put my name on it, because I thought the fact that it was on my side, under my sign would be enough. I was wrong! Realizing my error, I put my name on the bag. Gary walked into the kitchen a little later and I asked him (very politely - dispite the earlier annoyance of the accordian playing) to please not eat the last ones because those are mine that my mom made and I would like to have them. He explained why he didn't know they were mine. I think he was left a little ticked off at me. He probably thinks - the girl has been awake for 30 minutes and already I have done two things to make her mad. I'm not mad though - eating the bread was an honest mistake. I am still a little irritated at how I got woken up, though.

I guess those are just some of the things that come with living with other people. A plus...coffee was ready! I just poured a cup of hot coffee while I was making my toast. If I was living alone, I would have had to make it first. I really do appreciate the coffee - it is the little things in life!

No comments: