Friday, July 17, 2009

Dinner Mishaps!

I have two things working against me in making tonight's dinner. This has left me with a small injury.
  1. I am cheap!
  2. I am lazy!

I am making Basil Chicken Primavera, which requires 3 cups of grated carrots. I am cheap! In my kitchen are 2 Costco bags of baby carrots. I am too cheap to spend an extra $3.00 to purchase a bundle of whole carrots to grate. I am certainly too cheap to spend $5.00 on the pre-grated bag of carrots that measures out to right about 3 cups. Given the plethora of carrots currently occupying the refrigerator, I decided to grate baby carrots. FYI: it takes about 25-thousand-million baby carrots to end up with 3 cups, grated. This is where the second part comes in.

I am lazy! I have a food processor. I could get on my hands and knees and dig the food processor (and it's seven necessary parts) out of the cupboard designated for awkward kitchen appliances. That takes effort. Then, after I remember how to put the thing together right and use it for the 20 seconds it would take to grate an entire bag of carrots, I would have to take it apart and wash each of those seven separate pieces. This just seems like too much work!

So, I individually grated baby carrots with a hand-held cheese grater and stopped after skinning my knuckle twice - with about 2 1/2 cups of carrots to use for dinner. Don't worry - no flesh (or blood) made it's way into the carrots. I washed everything very well! But after all of that, I decided that it may have been worth the extra money to just buy the "convenience" bag of pre-grated carrots!

Oh well, at least I now have a legitimate excuse to wear a princess bandage on my finger! =)

2 comments:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch! For a year or two I sold pampered chef. Though I think most of their stuff is totally unnecessary, I did like one of their hand graters because it was so easy to use, pretty easy to clean, and easy to store. Oh, and though it was a hand-operated manual grater, it was impossible to grate my knuckles. However, it was like $60. Yeah, no kidding. So I became a consultant to fulfill a contract that allowed me to get it and a ton of other stuff for close to free. Whew!

Hope you heal up well. Was the recipe worth it???

Hugs,

~Shaye

Lynn said...

The recipe was totally worth it! It turned out super-yummy! I have seen the PC grater - I want one. However I am just too darn cheap to get it...maybe I'll see one at a garage sale one day. I doubt it. My guess is that once someone has one of those they hold onto it FOREVER!

Thank you for the quick-healing well wishes. Speaking of...how is your ankle doing?