Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Trip to the Vet

On Saturday, I had to take my sweet Siamese cat, Cinnamon, to the vet for her check-up and vaccinations. It was good timing for her appointment because for the last few weeks her eye has been looking a little weepy. Being that it is the spring and everything is blooming and growing, I figured it was allergies and didn't worry too much about it. Last week I noticed that both eyes were weepy and one of them was looking pretty irritated. My eyes are also pretty weepy and irritated - once again because of allergies, so I dismissed it. I knew we were going to see the doctor this weekend, so I didn't feel too neglectful. When we get to the vet, they proudly inform me that my sweet baby has conjunctivitis - that's right, my cat has "pink eye". How that happens, I'm not quite sure! Had it not been for the doctor's appointment, I probably would have just continued ignoring and dismissing the symptoms for quite a bit longer, though.

The fun part about this is that I get to put eye drops in her eyes twice a day for the next week or so. Have you ever given a cat eye drops? Can you imagine the drama that ensues? This cat, who is an absolute sweetheart, is also...well...a CAT! Cats are very dignified! They are very private! They like to be touched when they request it - and generally only when they request it! Cinnamon is no different! Amazingly enough, cat's also don't seem to like to be picked up, tipped over like a little baby, and then tortured by having their human hold open their eyelids while dropping some cold medication (that I can only imagine stings) in their already hurting eyeballs! I can respect that! Here's my question though, how do I make it better if I can't put the drops in her eyes???? Does she understand that I am trying to help her? I don't think so. And if so, I don't think she cares! I think that in her own cat way she is cursing at me and planning her revolt!

So, you can imagine how excited I was to go about the scene of drama and torture (for both of us) tonight. To my surprise, she let me pick her up and hold her. Then, she let me hold her eyes open and drop the drops in without so much as a squirm! I was so proud of her!! She was sooo wonderful! If she was a human child, I think I might even feel tempted to reward her with some extra-special treat! I gave her the cat equivalent, though -- I put her down as soon as I finished putting the drops in! Man did she run away fast! When she got to the other side of the room, she turned around and looked over at me like I was the most evil person she had ever encountered! Once again, I imagine there was some feline cursing going on!

Here's what I wonder now...what will happen tomorrow morning?

2 comments:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Awww, poor Cinnamon! Very, very traumatic for such a dignified animal. I hope she's fully recovered by now.

Lynn said...

She is doing well. We ended up having to go through two rounds of eye drops. God was so faithful to bring her peace in getting them. I had prayed over her that this would not be traumatic for her and that somehow the Spirit would make her understand that it was for her good. She just let me give them to her! She is such a wonderful kitty!! I am very blessed to have her!