Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Happy Heart Status

Over the past few months, I have been really struggling with keeping a good attitude.  There have been a lot of things happening around me that have left me feeling a little less than "in control" of my days, weeks, and now months.  My attitude was really starting to suffer.  I constantly found myself complaining about my work, getting irritated by certain people, and feeling a little less than gracious about being asked to constantly go above and beyond.  I have been overwhelmed, impatient, and just a tiny bit cranky.  These are very clearly not the traits that I want to describe me.  So, a couple of weeks ago I decided to start something new.  I decided that (for the time being) each day I am going to put a "Happy Heart Status" on facebook.  It is a very small way that I can take a moment to focus my heart on the blessings, joys, and praises that come about in my day.

I got the idea of having a happy heart because I work with children on pretty much a daily basis.  And I LOVE it, although it comes with it's challenges!  Very often, I find myself reminding the little ones around me to have a happy heart.  I let them know that it is ok to be disappointed, frustrated, and even angry at times.  Those "negative" emotions are natural and it is ok to have them.  But, how we respond is where it gets tricky!  Having a happy heart!  It sounds so easy, but as I am so readily reminded by all of these young friends - it can be very hard.  You have to make the choice.

When I realized my attitude was not so great, I was convicted!  Truly convicted that I was telling all of these children that they needed to have a happy heart, but I didn't.  Wow!  I think the Lord just reached right into my heart and made it twinge a bit.  Then I realized that I needed to do something. 

The Lord has been good to me -- very VERY good to me!  I need to take the time to remember each day just how amazing and good He is!  Therein was birthed "The Happy Heart Status".  

Let's see how it goes!

(BTW This is mis-dated because I forgot to post it when I wrote it at the end of September)  HAHA

No comments: