Monday, April 6, 2009

An Update

I don't have a whole lot to say, but wanted to post something. So here is a little update of what's been going on with me.

A few months ago I got a ticket for running a red light. I made my case to the judge and requested community service. He granted my request by giving me 25 hours of service time to be completed in 1 month. By the time I got in touch with the right people, coordinated everything and was able to get started, I had 3 weeks to complete the time. I have officially finished 5.5 hours - 1/5th of the way there! The rest has to be done by the 17th. I figure that if I go after work almost everyday and work all day on Saturday I can get it done. I can request an extension if I need to, but I don't really want to unless I have to!

I have also been working on stuff for our church's version of Vacation Bible School. We call it Neighborhood Bible Clubs. We have families that will host little clubs in their front yard or in parks so that neighbors can attend. I have helped with them for the last few years, but this year I have been more involved. I have been assisting our coordinator with administrative tasks and also working on promotions for the clubs. This has been a very new place for me to step in to! I was quite leery of being in this spot at first - I thought "what do I know about communicating to other people about this stuff?" It's actually proven to be an OK place for me. I definitely feel like I am stumbling my way through - but I also feel like maybe I am learning more about some of the things that God would like for me to be more assertive in and feel more confident at taking authority in. I guess that only time will tell if it is a good place for me to be, or not.

Life with the family I live with has continued to be a challenge. Keep in mind that challenge does not always mean bad. I am definitely starting to look forward to finding another living situation though. I feel like it will take some pressure off of the friendship and that maybe we can experience a greater degree of love for each other!

In the way of relationships, I have been learning some things about myself. They have not been easy - but I think they have been good for me to learn! First, I have learned that I am much more judgemental than I have ever before acknowledged - and I have recognized that the judgement I pass has a great potential to wound the people I love! Second, I have learned that in pressure situations I tend to back down, pull away, and hide out...until...the pressure gets so great that it all comes out...everything that has caused me to back down or pull away or hide out. It may not even be something that would be rational to cause hurt - it just gets added into everything else and it becomes (sorry for the cliche) fuel for the fire! The third thing I have been learning is how precious and important relationships are to me! This one is harder for me to put into words, but there is so much emotional rise (both good and bad) that stirs in me and it is directly tied into other people. I have always known that my friendships are important to me, but I don't think that I have ever really recognized just how powerful relationships are to me!

I think that is about all I have for now. Plus, someone else is waiting for the computer. I will keep my prayer short because of this.

God, I thank you that you have given me the ability and opportunity to serve and bless my community during this time. I thank you that you have also given me the ability to serve my church. Please continue to bless both of these organizations, that they may prosper and that those they serve may see your glory and know your love! I ask that you would bless the family that I am living with and that you would speak into our relationships, that we would be able to love one another well! I also thank you that you have been teaching me more about how important relationships are and the responsibilities that I carry in those. Please bless these interactions and bring your grace in. Thank you Lord.

No comments: